Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Masterpiece Theater
Snobbish liberal friends of mine--
Over sandwiches made with watercress--
On Super Bowl Sunday night
Chose to tune in PBS.


Pop-Up Thought
Edison, Tesla, and Steinmetz--
Engineers whom I love the most.
Thanks to them I own an appliance
That makes me perfect toast.


Evanescence
The thick pages of old anthologies
Are heavily freighted and taxed
With poets writing of beauteous snow--
How eloquently have they waxed!

I have searched, but never came across
One single word of what those poets felt
In the following post-rapturous days
When with wet feet they watched the damned stuff melt.


The Old Formalist at the Library
Big thick books daunt me
As further into life I age.
Will I live to finish this?
I think, as I look at the number
On the far last page.


Redrafting
Faced with failure, "Back to the old drawing board"
Was once our rueful declaration.
Nowadays technology's progress requires
That we say, "Back to the old CAD station."


Assimilation
I know a native Southerner
Who's lived too long in New York.
So apostate has he become,
He eats fried chicken with a fork.


No comments:

Post a Comment